Annual Fieldwork Bursary
The Foundation offers an Annual Fieldwork Bursary. We are offering funding of between €500 – €1000 per applicant to participate in a maritime archaeological fieldwork project in order to gain more field experience. Eligible applicants should be nationals of Lebanon, Syria, Cyprus or Egypt.
The bursary will go towards covering most, if not all, of the costs (airfare/ travel, visa and participant fee, loss of income) associated with the fieldwork. Up to three bursaries will be offered annually to applicants from the region. Please also note that it can take up to four weeks for us to make a decision and organise payment so you must allow enough time for processing visa applications etc. We recommend allowing around four months between applying and the fieldwork starting, to enable a decision to be made and for the Visa process.
The successful applicant must be:
- a national from Lebanon, Syria, Cyprus, or Egypt
- either a student currently undertaking MA or PhD studies, or have completed their MA or PhD studies within the last five years
- be able to demonstrate a desire to pursue a career in maritime archaeology or related field, in the region
- competent in English and the language of the fieldwork project
- successful applicants will be expected to write a brief blog (in English) with accompanying photographs about their experiences for the HFF Facebook page during the fieldwork, and produce a short report for the HFF web site on completion of the fieldwork.
To apply please complete the application form below.
The Foundation retains the right to select the successful applicant. Selection will be made on the merit of the individual candidate and application, the reputation of the chosen fieldwork project, and the perceived benefit that this will bring to the candidate’s experience and future career in maritime archaeology in the region. The Foundation’s decision in this respect is final.