The Honor Frost Foundation was founded in 2011. Honor Frost was an early pioneer in the field of underwater archaeology. When Honor died in 2010 she left the bulk of her estate to establish the foundation to promote marine and maritime archaeology with a focus on the eastern Mediterranean.
The Foundation’s mission is to promote the advancement and research, including publication, of maritime archaeology with particular but not exclusive focus on the Eastern Mediterranean with an emphasis on Lebanon, Syria and Cyprus.
In 2019 the Foundation also established a team in Lebanon in response to recent increases in coastal development threatening the coastal and underwater resource of the country, find out more about the team in Lebanon here.
The Foundation seeks to further its mission with the following objectives:
- To provide grants to independent scholars, individuals working in research establishments and to institutions for work on marine and maritime archaeology.
- To publish and disseminate research work which is a result of the HFF grants and papers from the Honor Frost archive.
- To provide grants to museums, galleries and other national institutions to assist in displaying works relevant to the study of maritime archaeology and for public education in the field.
- To sponsor public lectures and seminars within the field of marine and maritime archaeology.
- To support excavations of archaeological sites, including but not exclusively, ports, harbours, offshore anchorages, and ancient anchors found undersea relevant to Levantine archaeology.
- To support conservation work relevant to marine and maritime archaeology in the region.
- To support exchange visits of museum staff from the Lebanon, Western Syria and Cyprus.
- To facilitate the training of individuals from the region in restoration and conservation techniques relevant to marine and maritime archaeology.
- To foster and promote the protection of underwater cultural heritage (UCH).
Ms Alison Cathie – Chair
Mr Roger Clark – Hon Treasurer
Dr John Curtis OBE, FBA
Dr Claude Doumet-Serhal MBE
Dr Venetia Porter
Mr Peter Wolrich
Dr J D Hill
Dr Lucy Blue – Maritime Archaeological Director
Gail Caddy – Administrator
Miranda Richardson – Publications Editor
Neelam Seeboruth – Grants Administrator
Lauren Tidbury – Maritime Archaeological Assistant
Dr. Lucy Semaan
Dr. Stephen McPhilipps